Thursday, February 20, 2014

Silly man

So our choir director asked me if I'd like to offer my opinion on some new music from a catalog from which she's thinking of choosing a few pieces. Since I had choir last night, I figured I'd have a listen to it during the work day, but when I put the first CD in all I saw was PDFs of the first 5 pages of each piece. I'm not so gifted as to get a good sense of piece from looking at its sheet music. At first I thought that maybe it was just my computer at work that wouldn't play the audio portion, but at home before rehearsal I got the same result.

So last night I was returning the catalog to her with my apologies for not doing a better job, and she starts popping the CDs into the CD player. And it turns out that the catalog indicates right on the front cover that there are audio samples. She said she didn't have any trouble playing them on her computer, so I guess I'll give it another shot on both of ours and see if I can't get better results now that I know what I have in hand.

Of course, there doesn't appear to be a single piece in the entire catalog that has a guitar part.  I'm really tired of being treated like the black sheep of the musical world.

(Edit, 12:15) I forgot to mention the "silly" part: the front of the catalog clearly indicates that there are audio samples.

No comments:

Post a Comment