Thursday, January 10, 2013

Today's words

Apollonian \ap-uh-LOH-nee-un\ - 1. of, relating to, or resembling the god Apollo  2. harmonious, measured, ordered, or balanced in character

pomander \POH-man-der\ - 1. a mixture of aromatic substances enclosed in a perforated bag or box and used to scent clothes and linens or formerly carried as a guard against infection; also : a clove-studded orange or apple used for the same purposes  2. a box or hollow fruit-shaped ball for holding pomander

The second word was actually the WOTD a month ago, when I wasn't paying attention because of the natural beauty by which I found myself surrounded.

As for the first word, I definitely knew its first definition, but wouldn't have guessed its second; now that I know that it wasn't necessarily very applicable to Apollo, either - at least in the temperamental sense - I'm not sure how I'll manage to recall it in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment