Thursday, January 03, 2013

1 Cor 13, 5c

(Love) is not irritable or resentful. - RSV
It does not brood over injury. - NAB
(Love) thinketh no evil. - KJV
(Love) doesn't keep score of the sins of others. - The Message
(Love) does not impute evil. - Darby
(Love) does not take into account a wrong suffered. - NASB
It keeps no record of wrongs. - NIV

Nor of shortcomings, or not, at least, in the way I tend to.

It has been too long since I've taken a look at various translations of a verse of scripture. This isn't even a full verse, yet it provides plenty of food for thought, and ties in with Fr. Dave's homily of last weekend.

I often correct myself in the middle of making mental lists: things I do, things I'm the only one who can do, things that another doesn't do.  It isn't just a characteristic of my marriage relationship, either - for instance, I generally know who has bought lunch last. Add to that: I also have a tendency to interpret others' actions or omissions in the worst possible light (imputing evil).

From a strictly secular perspective, all of this forms an unhealthy approach to love.  From the Christian perspective, St. Paul seems to be telling me that it isn't how to love at all.

Still growing . . .

That's a good thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment