Wednesday, July 07, 2010

A day at Kings Island

I can't say for certain how many years it has been since I was last at Kings Island, but I'm pretty sure I still had a daughter in high school.  The thing is, as much as I enjoy roller coasters, I'm not really an amusement park kind of guy, primarily because I don't like crowds.  Okay, I abhor, detest, and generally hate crowds.  I don't know if the contrast with the absolute chaos of CityFolk on Saturday night made the difference, or if it was just that the crowd wasn't that bad because it was a weekday.  But that wasn't the big reason I found yesterday so enjoyable.

Here I was at Kings Island with my two oldest grandsons, and we just hung out together all day.  There was no "I'll do this, you do that, we'll meet at such-and-such a place and time."  We rode rides together, visited the water park together, hung out together.  I let them off the hook for the next-to-last scorching walk out to the car, letting them hang out in Skyline and eat their chili- and cheese- fries while I went out for a fresh water bottle.  Then, when they were in the wave pool I tried to spare my not-very-sunburn-protecting shirt a complete drenching by remaining in the shallow area while they ventured out deep, and for the same sunburned reason I skipped the water slides they each took a couple of turns on.  But otherwise we road roller coasters and took a couple loops around a lazy river and ate and drank and just spent time together all day long, and they were great with that.

I figure that, at 13 and 11, I'd better enjoy such days with them while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment