Friday, December 05, 2008

Appendectomy, funeral, cell phone, Madden, milk

Another middle-of-the-night call informs us grandson will indeed have morning surgery. Sister-in-law and her husband can get by with one car for the day, so graciously loan us their other. I drop mine off with wife following (possibly the world's worst follower; she's afraid to stay close, and there's traffic). We then go by hospital (again, along the way) for her to check on daughter (shaky, after all night there and mostly awake, and son in surgery), then go pick up programs. Funeral is nicely attended. Wife loses cell phone at church. (No, I'm not making all of this up. This is really how our week has been.) After the service at the gravesite, a brother-in-law has a dead battery. Fortunately another brother-in-law has a power jumper, as my cables are in the trunk of my car, in the shop. After dropping wife off at luncheon at parish hall, I go back to dad's house, where I saw her phone on the table earlier. It isn't there. Fortunately when I get back to the hall and check with the pastor, he tells me that someone has found it and turned it in at the parish center; we're even more grateful a little while later, when the pastor brings it over to us, as someone has taken the trouble to deliver it. I check in with the automotive shop again, and find that indeed I need the part I'd taken a pass on the previous day. It will still take a day to get it in. ** Sigh **.

We head to the hospital to check in on grandson. He's sleeping. His great-grandpa and one of his great aunts also drop in on us while we're there, and we leave together to head to dad's house, where everyone is gathering. Continued eating and drinking and visiting ensue. There are a couple bags of lumpia in the freezer, which mrs tg's sister-in-law (oldest brother's wife, from the PI) has sent previously but no one has had time to make during mom's illness. Youngest brother starts frying them, but now sister-in-law who made them in the first place arrives to take over.

I'm enjoying all the activity, yet also maintain an emotional distance. There is one family member who has never forgiven me for a past offense. Really, I'm on her side about the whole thing; the rest of the family has been exceedingly gracious to me, and I really don't deserve it (but then, that's what grace is). But this has caused a rift between them all for which I alone seem to understand that I am responsible; I'm grateful to see this starting to heal, and if that means I have to feel a bit of the isolation I deserve, I will bear it in silence. This day isn't about me, and I know the rest will make up for it with their love and acceptance.

About 7 p.m. I head back to the hospital to stay with grandson for a few hours, until around 10. Mom has only had 2 hours sleep in the last day, so will nap before coming back. Grandson and I play an old Madden (my first time) and some basketball on the game console they've wheeled into his room. He kicks my tail. It's probably the high point of the trip. About 9:45 daughter calls, asks if she can take a bath before coming back; I'm sure she doesn't plan on falling asleep in tub, but she does anyway, getting back to room about 11:30. I'm supposed to get milk on the way home. All grocery stores along the way are closed. I get to the last one at 12:03, but they closed at midnight. I bang my head against the door frame, just once, and head home to sister-in-law's house. She and her husband have been so gracious. Another late night; I've lost track of how many in a row.

No comments:

Post a Comment