Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Holes

Oh, the little things that blindside you. A friend just posted on FB that he was listening to a Styx song, Crystal Ball, and what a great tune it was.

My first reaction was enthusiastic agreement, and the realization that I haven't listened to them in years.

My second was the recollection of why I don't pull out their music more often: the only concert I ever went to with my sister was Styx. She was crazy over them, and I took her to see them in 1979. Hard to believe that this year will mark the 27th anniversary of her death.

It's also hard to believe how much of a self-absorbed jerk I was a quarter century ago. I had a good friend who was always less than appreciative of my favorite piece to show off my guitar skills: Suite Madame Blue. Turns out that she'd had a traumatic experience while it was playing in the background. Didn't keep me from playing it in front of her, though. I guess I'm grateful that I'm not that guy - or the worse one - anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment