Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Father's Day

There are two kinds of people who celebrate Father's Day:
  • Those who weren't utter failures as fathers are able to bask in the appreciation of their children.  These are the guys who may be a little embarrassed by their World's Greatest Dad mug that they know is at most a harmless bit of hyperbole.
  • Those who didn't have utter failures as fathers are able to honor them for the difference they made in their lives.  It's true that I wouldn't be who I am without any of the three of mine, but I can't celebrate any of them.  All I can do is pray for each of them.
Since I don't fall into either category, therefore I dread, loathe, and detest Father's Day.  At least I can celebrate the memory of Teri's dad, for the difference he made to me as a patient and forgiving father-in-law.

No comments:

Post a Comment