Monday, February 09, 2009

Weather weirdness

So Saturday things finally warmed up enough to allow me to clear the ice from my driveway and sidewalk. We'd had snow on the ground for nearly two weeks, kind of unusual for here. (Oh, I have to get a couple of the pictures posted from last Saturday morning at the park!) Anyway, if it had just fallen as snow I'd have cleared it right away, but it sleeted first, so scraping off all of the snow that followed would have actually been more dangerous. So it all ended up getting packed down, but at least everyone knew what they were dealing with. The roads were treacherous for several days last week, though.

Anyway, things started warming up on Friday, such that the surface got slick and I got stuck in the driveway trying to get out to work. I figured that was a sign that I should clear it when I got a decent chance. So after returning from dropping off some compact fluorescents at the collection point Saturday morning, I started in on it. I was fascinated by the way the melted layer underneath resulted in big chunks of the packed ice breaking off at a time, and how that underlying water would then run downhill. I probably cleared about twice what I intended just because I was amused by it. Simple minds, eh? Speaking of which, mine goes weird places when doing laborious work. So do you call a guy who takes the blame for the planting the wrong flowers a landscapegoat?

The nice weather held for Sunday - mid-40's, sunny, and the roads were dry enough for my first bike ride of the year. Yeah, I had to "gear up," but it was so nice to be out. Woo hoo! Am I out of shape! I've been on the trainer pretty much every week, but as important as that is, it's no substitute for miles on the road.

It's even better riding weather today. My legs are telling me that it's a good thing I have to work instead! Looks like more wintry temps return by the weekend.

3 comments:

  1. Hey TG! Gotta tell you, most of that post went right over my head! We, too, are having a cold snap ... it's only supposed to be 60 today! I don't know how I'll survive the cold. :)

    Landscapegoat? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cold snap. 60°F. #$*%&(! Californian.

    I guess you get a free pass though, in light of your appreciation for what passes for my sense of humor. I understand (from firsthand experience) how that's a debilitating social condition that demands sympathy.

    As far as I'm concerned, so is living in a place with no winter. Yeah, shoveling snow is a pain, but still, I really like winter.

    (Yes, I realize I've given the world further grounds to conclude I'm a nutcase.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you liked the landscapegoat, do you read Pearls Before Swine? (Since this particular strip features Goat, I must make clear that this Goat was not the inspiration for the landscapegoat. He neither landscapes nor takes blame, that I've ever seen.)

    ReplyDelete