Tuesday, April 08, 2008

More from St. Augustine

As a music minister, I was especially moved by St. Augustine's words in today's Office of Readings.

That's "today's" as in "the day I posted this," not necessarily "the day you read this," which after today - by the definition in this parenthetical - would be a different link, in all probability won't contain anything by St. Augustine, but is still probably worth your time!

Sometimes we musicians tend to think our primary prayer is our song. After all, it was St. Augustine who also said that to sing is to pray twice. But this reading makes it clear that our primary prayer must be to live in Christ's love.

I still struggle with this, hesitant to yield my will over some parts of my life. It's hard to fully accept that embracing God's will results in greater joy and love than chasing my own. After all, isn't our primary objection that "we don't want to miss out on all the 'fun'!"

St. Augustine was intimately familiar with that perspective, too.

I knew this was my second post from St. Augustine, but it took me a while to find the first, two years and two days ago, on a completely different reading, since Easter was later that year . . . This blog was practically brand new then!

No comments:

Post a Comment